Saturday, July 16, 2011

God's Eye Mexican craft

The Ojo de Dios, or God's Eye, is a simple or complex weaving made across two or more sticks and is thought to have originated with the Huichol Indians of Jalisco,Mexico.

The Huichol call their God's eyes, Sikuli, which means "the power to see and understand things unknown." When a child is born, the central eye is woven by the father, then one eye is added for every year of the child's life until the child reaches the age of five.

Original Huichol Crosses are extremely rare to come by. There are many that are being made for the tourist market, but they do not carry the same traditional and spiritual significance. (Credit: Wikipedia)

This is an interesting craft and you can give the kids a history lesson at the same time. I found this very interesting and although my kids and I always made the God's eye I never knew the meaning of the craft.

I think anyone who has ever gone to summer camp or day camp has made one of these crafts. It's a great way to use up those little balls of yarn that you have laying around. So,enjoy.

Some fun summer books related to this craft--

                                     
FOR MORE INFORMATION












"My son is 8 years old and had to do a book report over the summer on Diego Rivera. This book was recommended by his teacher and I would highly recommend it as well. Super easy to read and follow and made it interesting enough for my son to enjoy. He was able to read this in a day!"Reviewed By: Rocket E.R. 
FOR MORE INFORMATION

No comments:

Post a Comment